Sunday, March 7, 2010

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa)

Quinoa is not a grain, but is actually the seed of the Chenopodium or Goosefoot plant. The quinoa seed is high in protein, calcium and iron, and contains an almost perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids. What a wonderful food! I have a couple of recipes that I use, but this one is my favorite, and I like it hot or cold.

1/2 C red onion, chopped
2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1-2 carrots, grated
1 C quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 C water
1/4 tsp sea salt

Rinse grain under cold water to remove coating. Melt coconut oil in medium size saucepan. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, stir and cover. Simmer 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.

video coming soon...

1 comment:

  1. Quinoa is my new comfort food! I make a variation of this recipe adding celery and squash (zucchini, yellow- whatever is handy, and yelloo curry powder. Yumyum.

    ReplyDelete